If you are used to drinking coffee every day before being pregnant to boost the stamina, this kind of beverage should be avoided when pregnant, because according to dr. Suririnah in one of his books stated : pregnant women consuming caffeine as much as 300 ml or more a day can increase the risk of pregnancy complications.
Although the safe limit of caffeine consumption is not clear due to the absence of research regarding that matter, there is an advice from the National Institutes of Health not to consume caffeinated beverages of more than 300 ml a day.
The effects of caffeine which are explained by dr. Suririnah in his book :
- Affect the breathing and heartbeat of the fetus in the womb through the placenta.
- Increase the heart rate and metabolism of pregnant women.
- Make it difficult for pregnant women to rest.
- Trigger stress and anxiety because of the increased hormones epinephrine and norepinephrine.
- Frequent urination due to the nature of diuretic.
- Increase the gastric acid which triggers stomachache.
- Reduce the amount of calcium in the body.
- Make it difficult for the body to absorb the iron which is surely needed during pregnancy due to the phenol content in caffeine.
- When pregnant, the body needs longer time to remove caffeine.
- Coffee should be avoided because caffeine does not have any nutrient for pregnant women.